It’s topped with French bread and cheese. Eat it on its own or as a first course in a larger meal.
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon diced garlic
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toasted French bread rounds
- 1-2 cups mozzarella and provolone cheese
- Saute onion over medium low heat, stirring frequently. Onions should slowly cook for 30 to 40 minutes, slowly caramelizing.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the wine, broths, thyme, and salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Place in bowls, top with toasted French bread rounds and copious amounts of cheeses. Broil briefly until cheeses melt, and serve hot.